1. Are they hungry?
2. Are they tired?
3. Have you been paying attention to them?
4. When we don’t respond right away to them, we aren’t modeling good listening skills.
5. Would a change of scenery help I.e. Go outside?
When you speak to them…
1. Get down on their level
2. Hold their hand to help them focus on you
3. Ask them to repeat what you said, if and only if they have the verbal skills to do this
4. Use positive words and tone when speaking to them
What doesn’t work is yelling, spanking, punishing, or threatening them. Think about it… if you were having a problem like not being able to focus because you are hungry, would someone yelling at you or even spanking you get you to focus better? Probably not. Treat your children how you as an adult would like to be treated.